People who live in a rut have plenty of routines. Repeating behaviors brings comfort, but doesn’t ignite passion. If you want to feel inspired, make your habits interesting. Shake up routines and kick-start your life.
Rather than buy a burger and fries when you go out, try foreign foods. Instead of watching Game of Thrones with friends, buy a movie camera and create films to view. Branch out. Try new things and you’ll feel more alive.
We are creatures of habit. There is truth to the statement in that we find comfort in our routines. However, routines can stagnate your life if they become monotonous. All too often, we do not even see this taking place.
Months turn into years and having the same routines that no longer bring happiness, then it is time to Shake It Up.
I am by no means a Taylor Swift fan, but her song “Shake It Off” has a lot of upbeat vibes to it and she is totally right, just shake it off. Most of the things we feel unhappy about or feel hurt, undone by, are thoughts taking up space were the mind could be put to better use. A lot of the time it comes down to communication or ego. Get those thoughts out, verbalize, share with others. Why hold onto something that is just going to weigh you down?
We are never to old to learn. Generally what holds us back from growing and learning is one of two things, fear or depression. Depression, you can medicate for and seek help. Fear on the other hand, requires you to step out of your comfort zone. Granted, this is easier for some than others.
Why it is important to Shake Up Routines
- Anxiety sucks! Your mind and body will be a happier place if you could just let go of things.
- Do not waste your energy and time on something that really is not that important. You have better things to do. Places to go, people to see. Make a difference where you can.
- We all deserve to be happy. Change your routine and notice how your brain lights up and your body is filled with a happy feeling (a release of endorphins) to something that is new and stimulating.
- You will meet a lot of new people. This can have a hugely positive impact on your life.
- Make space for new things in your life by saying good bye to old things or old ways.
- Life is about creation. If you don’t like something, recreate it. I am most fond of that saying.
- Surprise yourself and live the life you were meant to live.
There are those that can find it intimidating to shake up routines. If so, start somewhere small. Start by going to read a book in a coffee shop instead of at home. Put yourself in a surrounding that sparks interest. Your mind will lift and be most thankful for the change!
Part 1 of a 5 part series…